Saturday, December 11, 2010

Better Beef Stew

I really like using my slow cooker for days I'm pressed for time but want a hot home cooked meal to come home to. Yesterday I did not start my beef stew in time for the slow cooker to do it's thing in time for dinner. I will say I got a very rich tasting stew on the stove top. May not go back to making this particular dish the cook all day way.

1 1/4 lb.s beef cut for stew ( I used organic, very lean)
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon each: ground savory, ground pepper, garlic powder and dried thyme
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup dry red wine or water
6 small red or white potatoes, quartered
1 large carrot sliced in 1 inch diagonal slices
2 stalks celery, sliced in 1 inch diagonal slices
1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into wedges
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, cut in half if large
1, 14.5 oz. reduced sodium beef broth.

Mix seasoning into flour. Dredge beef cubes in flour. In a heavy skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Brown beef cubes on two sides. Place beef in a 4 quart pot. Deglaze skillet with wine and pour into pot. Add remaining ingredients to pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer 90 minutes.
Remove lid. Bring to a boil and boil, stirring occasionally until liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment